Weight loss is always a challenge. You need to change your ways, eat differently, spend time working out, and be motivated throughout. If you want to lose 50, 60, or even a 100 pounds it may seem like something close to impossible to do but it’s really quite doable.
In fact, there is no fundamental difference between losing 10 pounds to losing 50. Weight loss is basically burning more calories than you put in. It doesn’t matter how much you need to lose.
Sure, it will take longer to lose 50 lbs than 10 or 15. However, as long as you do the right things beginning today, you will gradually draw closer to your ultimate goal.
5 Pillars of Weight Loss
In my mind there are just a few things that weight loss is based on:
1. Sensible and lean eating – What got you overweight in the first place is bad eating. You either ate too much or the wrong things, probably both. Now is the time to change all that. You will never be able to lose fat unless you learn how to eat healthy and lean.
Eating to lose weight requires you to have control over what you eat. You can’t simply let things happen you need to be aware of them. It starts by making more of your own food rather than buying it ready-made. This will help you gain a stronger level of control over what you put into your mouth.
The key is to focus on fresh, natural, and clean food. You need to increase your consumption of fruit, vegetables, lean protein, and reduce sugar, trans-fats, and starchy carbs. Eating healthy does not need to be dull or tasteless. Quite the opposite is true.
Here is a program that can help you lose weight while eating what you like: Every Other Day Diet program
2. Cardio workouts – During your time as being overweight, I guess that you’ve not been too active. Now is the time to change all that and it begins with doing cardio to help you improve you fitness level.
I always recommend focusing your time on the most effective cardio workouts such as running, rowing, kickboxing and so on as they tend to burn more calories faster than less intensive workouts. However, any cardio is far better than none. If you feel that you’re not up to running at the moment, do some walking, or get on an elliptical machine. It can work wonders and help you melt away the fat.
3. Strength training – One type of workouts which a lot of dieters tend to ignore is strength training. “I just want to lose weight, not gain muscle”, they say. Well, don’t worry, I am not planning for you to become a bodybuilder. However, the truth of the matter is that stregth training is important for fat loss.
Not only do the actual workouts burn off fat, the increase in muscle tissue will also help tremendously. The reason is that muscle tissue burns more calories than other tissues. Just by having more muscles on your body, you will burn off more calories, even in your sleep.
It doesn’t require you to build huge muscles. Even a small increase will help a lot. Make sure to work all of your muscles groups. It doesn’t matter where you gain muscles. Your entire body will feel the effect.
For some excellent workouts and nutrition guidelines to help you lose weight and get a flatter stomach, check out this video: Truth About Flat Abs
4. Metabolism – What determines how quickly you will lose 50 to a 100 pounds is your metabolism. The faster it runs, the faster you will shed weight.
There are all sorts of ways to tweak and boost your metabolism. Just by eating small meals often during the day instead of a few big meals, with big pauses in between, can help you keep your metabolism from dropping. Increasing muscle tissue can also help, as well as drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, and eating the right metabolism increasing foods.
5. Motivation – You didn’t get overweight out of the blue. It’s a process that took a while to reach this point. You can expect to lose 50, 60, 70, or 80 pounds in a day, a week, or even a month or two either. It’s going to take time and will require a lot of patience and determination from you.
You shouldn’t expect too much too soon. If you want to lose 100 pounds in 6 months, for instance, there’s a good chance that you will fail. To lose 50 pounds in 6 months is a much more reasonable goal. A 100 lbs will take a year to do comfortably.
To make sure you don’t stop during the process you need to enlist the support of your friends and family. Get them to help you avoid temptation, remind of your long term goals, and not allow minor setbacks (which are bound to occur) to set you off the course you’ve chosen to take.
Bonus tip: to get the best results fastest, you should have some system to work with, one that incorporates the right workouts and the right eating plan. I recommend the Truth About Abs program as it definitely works. I believe it can help you lose weight fast, even if it’s 50 – 100 lbs.
Check out this review of Truth About Abs to read more about this program.