All around the world, in gyms everywhere, the most coveted goal is to have a flat and sexy belly.
To achieve that goal people spend hours working out, doing both cardio and endless hours of abs exercises. Some people go as far as spend some of their hard earned money on one Abs Machine or another like the widely promoted Ab Circle Pro.
While the fitness equipment manufacturers get rich, most people get frustrated because they don’t really see the kind of results they dream about.
What are people doing wrong and how can you get a flat tummy?
The answer is both simple and complicated. It’s simple because what you need to do is basically simple to understand. It’s complicated because you need to make a mental switch, forget a lot of the things you though were true but got you dismal results at best, and learn new things which are true and can make a real difference in how you look and feel.
The truth is that in order to get a flat belly you need to take 3 steps. Each of these steps can be broken into mini-steps, but overall, it is these 3 things which determine how much belly fat you have and how your stomach looks.
The 3 steps you need to take are:
1. Follow a sensible diet plan (it doesn’t mean you have to lose weight, only fat).
2. Do the right kind of cardio workouts for abs in the right way.
3. Do the right kind of strength workouts in the right way.
Your goal is simple: to burn the most stomach fat in as short a time as possible. The reason for that is simple: no matter how strong your abs are, as long as there’s a layer of fat covering them, the muscles will not show as they should.
Basically, we all know what is good for us and what is bad. You don’t have to starve in order to get a flat belly. You just need to eat healthy and lean food items and you’re helping your body to shed fat.
Here are a few tips:
1. Avoid processed food – Manufacturers put a lot of chemicals, stabilizers, additives, and all sorts of nasty things into many processed foods. They are often fatty and salty as well.
2. Avoid sugary drinks – Drinking your calories is never a wise move. Drinks which are rich in sugars contain a frightening amount of calories and they don’t even make you feel less hungry.
3. Eat more fruits and veggies – In fact, turn these into your small snacks to avoid temptation for chocolate and other sweet and fatty items. Fruit and veggies are not just lean, they’re healthy in many other ways as well.
4. Start each meal with a salad – This way you’ll feel fuller and be less tempted to overeat carbs and fats.
5. Eat lean sources of protein such as chicken breast, turkey, fish, egg whites.
For more information, visit: Healthy Eating Habits for a Leaner You
Cardio Workouts to Get a Flat Belly
Cardio workouts are a great way to get lean, but you need to be smart about them to achieve the very best results. To do that you need to:
1. Do the right workouts.
2. Do them in the right way.
The right workouts are those that are most intensive. It’s stands to reason that if you’re putting in an effort, you’re burning more fat per minute. Doing intensive cardio workouts will help you to spend less time at the gym and achieve better results.
Some of these workouts include: running, rowing, hiking, kickboxing, outdoor cycling, and so on. My personal favorite is running. You can read all about How to run to burn belly fat. Just make sure to get out of your comfor zone regarding cardio. It’s the effort that counts.
Strength training to get a Flat Tummy
A common exercise myth is that you can workout a specific body part and burn fat from that body part alone. This has been proven to be untrue. Our body shed fat as a single unit. It doesn’t matter which body part we exercise.
What does this tell us?
It tells us that there’s no need to do so many abs exercises. Yes, it’s important to tone the abs and strenghten them, but making the abs the most heavily workout out body part is foolish.
The key to losing the most fat possible is to workout your entire body. The more muscle you put on your body the leaner you become. Strength exercises have the ability to make you burn fat no just during the workout but even afterward for hours more.
The key is to do intensive strength exercises and to place an emphasis on the big muscle groups like the legs, back, chest. The more muscle you have anywhere on your body, the more fat your body burns.
Make sure to read about intensive belly fat burning workouts to see which exercises you should do.
One program which does a great job in presenting clearly what you need to do and gets results for both men and women is the Truth About Abs.
This is a program by Mike Geary which covers nutrition and exercise guidelines for people who wish to get a flat belly. I use it myself and I highly recommend it. It covers the 3 steps I’ve outlined in this article in great detail.